Dr. Cobanli is the founder of OMC Design Studios and Jury Coordinator of A’ Design Award and Competition. Onur Müştak Çobanlı holds a Ph.D. degree from Faculty of Design, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy where he is a research fellow. Onur Müştak Çobanlı furthermore holds a Master of Science degree in Furniture Design, Faculty of Design, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy and Bachelor of Science degree in Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences and Administration, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey. His scientific research and study covers topics in design competitions in the contexts of; collaborative innovation, branding for businesses, out-of-the box innovation, as a government subsidy & as a policy to incubate design, interaction between designers, bridging companies and designers, making design «measurable» for companies by means of ranking, self-assessment for designers through design competitions, creating a basis for evaluating design, evaluating the ability of a person to use and understand design-language, creating a standardized test for design, a social communication network to bring like-minded people, design competitions as platforms to promote designers and countries, competitions for education of design at workshops, to promote design and create awareness for good design practices and principles. Dr. Cobanli also actively practices design by creating artifacts that reflect his personal style, his works have been featured in hundreds of design magazines worldwide.
Download European CV of Onur Mustak Cobanli.
Date and place of birth: 21 August 1984, Istanbul/Turkey (Male)
Address: Via Anzani 38, 22100, Como, Italy
Phone: +39 338 469 20 98
Email: omcdesign at gmail dot com
• Ph.D. in Design, Faculty of Design, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 2013.
Thesis: "Design Competitions: New Value Propositions"
• M.S. in Furniture Design, Faculty of Design, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 2009.
• B.S. in Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences and Administration,
Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey, (with honors), 2006.
• High School Eskişehir Anadolu Lisesi, Eskişehir, Turkey (with honors), 2002.
• Research Fellow, Faculty of Design, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy. 2014-Present.
Research on the value of design, innovation through design and design policy.
• October 2013–February 2014 Teaching Assistant : Laboratorio di Metaprogetto 2013-2014 Politecnico di Milano, Milan (Italy). Assisted Laboratorio di Metaprogetto class as Teaching Assistant.
• October 2012–February 2013 Teaching Assistant: Laboratorio Sviluppo Prodotto 2012-2013 Politecnico di Milano, Milan (Italy) Assisted Laboratorio Sviluppo Prodotto class as Teaching Assistant.
• October 2011–February 2012 Teaching Assistant: Laboratorio di Metaprogetto 2011-2012 Politecnico di Milano, Milan (Italy) Assisted Laboratorio di Metaprogetto class as Teaching Assistant.
• October 2010–February 2011 Teaching Assistant: Laboratorio Sviluppo Prodotto 2010-2011 Politecnico di Milano, Milan (Italy) Assisted Laboratorio Sviluppo Prodotto class as Teaching Assistant.
• Coordinator, A' Design Award & Competition, 2009-Present.
Coordinating jury, public relation efforts and co-curate the exhibitions.
• Business designer, OMC² Design Studios, 2006-Present.
Designs business, corporate communication schemas and advertisements models.
• Graphics designer, OMC² Design Studios, 2003-Present.
Worked in projects such as creating web pages, designing product packages or logos.
• Designer interm, Tokyo University of the Arts, Summer 2008.
Worked with Prof. Seichi Onobori on creating neo-traditional Japan inspired designs.
• Designer interm, xO-Design, Summer 2007.
Developed new products, recomended on engineering and provided design solutions. [Recommendation]
• Substitute web specialist, Bilkent University, Summer 2005.
Updated Bilkent University web site and worked on the future design of the site.
• Graphics designer intern, Turkuaz Media Press, Eskişehir, Turkey, 2001.
Designed page layouts, logos, booklets, business cards.
• Generative Design using Design DNA, p.60, Generative Art, Proceedings of GA2009 XII Generative Art Conference, edited by Celestina Soddu, Domus Argenia Publisher, Italy, 2009. ISBN 978-88-966-1000-8. [Abstract][Paper][Presentation]
• Design DNA Approach for Defining "Styles". Proceedings of INTED 2010 session of Pedagogical & Didactical Innovations. Learning and Teaching Methodologies, published and edited by L. Gomez, D. Marti, I. Candel et al., Spain, 2010. Proceedings ISBN 978-84-613-5538-9 & Abstracts 978-84-613-5536-5 [Abstract][Paper][Presentation]
• Evolution of Design Competitions: A Scientific Study on the State-of-Art of Design Competitions, Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, edited by Bill Cope and Mary Kalantzis, Cabell Publishing Inc, USA, 2011, ISSN: 1833-1874. [Paper]
• Design Competitions: Focus on Ceramics Industry : Opportunities to foster Innovation in Ceramic Industry. SERES’11 II. International Ceramic, Glass, Porcelain Enamel, Glaze and Pigment Congress. [Paper]
• Integrating End-Users to the Design Process Through
Design Competitions, DPPI '11 Proceedings of the 2011 Conference on Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces Article No. 59 . [Paper]
• Humanities Centered Innovation through International Design Competitions : originalresearch on utilizing the diversity of designers for culture oriented result driven design competitions. 4th International Forum of Design as a process, scientific thematic meeting of the Latin Network for the development of design process, Proceedings, v.1 ed. Sebastiana Lana, Rita Engler, Regina Alvares Dias. [Paper]
• Book: A' Design Award, Winner Designs 2013 - 2014 (Spatial Design), ISBN 978-88-97977-07-0, Designer Press, 2013. Editor: Onur Mustak Cobanli, DesignerPress, Milan / Italy.
• Book: A' Design Award, Winner Designs 2013 - 2014 (Communication Design), ISBN 978-88-97977-12-4, Designer Press, 2013. Editor: Onur Mustak Cobanli, DesignerPress, Milan / Italy.
• Book: A' Design Award, Winner Designs 2013 - 2014 (Product Design), ISBN 978-88-97977-32-2, Designer Press, 2013. Editor: Onur Mustak Cobanli, DesignerPress, Milan / Italy.
• Book: A' Design Award, Winner Designs 2012 - 2013, ISBN 978-88-97977-08-7, Designer Press, 2013. Editor: Onur Mustak Cobanli, DesignerPress, Milan / Italy.
• Book: A' Design Award, Winner Designs 2011 - 2012, ISBN 978-88-97977-03-2, Designer Press, 2012.Editor: Onur Mustak Cobanli, DesignerPress, Milan / Italy.
• Book: I Design Awards Yearbook 2012, ISBN 978-88-97977-06-3, Designer Press, 2012. Editors: Onur Mustak Cobanli & Swapna Chakraborthy, DesignerPress, Milan / Italy.
• Book (Chapter/Partial): LIGHT WORKS – EXPERIMENTAL LIGHT 2011,ISBN 978-88- 38761191 Editor: Francesco Murano, Con saggi di Jacqueline Ceresoli, Gabriella D’Argenio e Onur Mustak Cobanli Edizioni Maggioli 2012 Milan / Italy.
• ADI (Associazione per il Disegno Industriale), Member, 2009 - present.
• ICSID (International Council of Societies of Industrial Design), Corporate Member, 2011 - present.
• ICOGRADA (International Council of Communication Design), Corporate Member, 2012 - present.
• IFI (International Federation of Interior Architects/Designers), Corporate Member, 2013 - present.
• Turkish: Native
• German: Beginner
• English: Near Native (TOEFL score 283)
• Spanish: Beginner
• Italian: Intermediate
• Arabic: Beginner
• Japanese: Pre-Intermediate
• Chinese: Beginner
Hobbies and Interests
Design, Ceramics, Tango Dancing, Movies, Anime.
Conferences, Courses, Workshops and Seminars
•Jingdezhen Ceramic Fair Conference, "Study of ceramic furniture, focusing on modernization of classical Chinese ceramics through collaborative innovation". Jingdezhen, China, 18-22 October, 2010.
• Product Design Days'12, "Marketing and branding product designs – the Italian way.",Chennai, India, 22-23 November, 2012.
Participant with Paper
• Ph.D. Week, Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy. 2013. • Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces, Design Conference, Milan, Italy. 2011.
• Design Principles and Practices, Design Conference, Rome, Italy. 2012.
• Generative Design Conference, Milan, Italy. 2009.
Participant without Paper
• Brandmarker, Marketing for Individuals, Boğaziçi University, İstanbul, Turkey. 2008.
• Design for Mass-Production, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 2007.
• Innovative Product Design and Development Conference Series, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey. 2006.
• International Ceramics Symposium, Tacoma College, Seattle, United States. 2005.
• International Ceramics Symposium, Anadolu University, Eskişehir, Turkey. 2004.
Awards and Certificates
• Middle-Anatolia Wood Products and Producers Association, Jury Grand Award in Bathroom Furniture Design Category, National Design for Export Competition 2010, Istanbul, Turkey. [Award-Certificate]
• Letter of Appreciation, Bilkent University (For organizations held by Classical Dances Club.)
• Rotary Youth Leadership Award (RYLA), Rotary International.
• Professional Chess Player Certificate, National Youth Chess League, Turkey.